Man who helped expose Africa's corrupt referees shot dead

Man who helped expose Africa's corrupt referees shot dead

Man who helped expose Africa's corrupt referees shot dead

One of the undercover journalists who gained global attention for his role in exposing a corruption scandal in African football has been assassinated, according to Police in Accra.

"The alleged murder comes in the wake of reports of threats on members of Anas" team following last year's investigative documentary on bribery and corruption in Ghana and African football at large.

Anas posted a video on Twitter alongside Hussein-Suale death announcement which showed a Ghanaian lawmaker Kennedy Agyapong making violent threats against the deceased. On a private television channel a year ago, the MP showed a foto of Hussein-Suale and promised payment for supporters who took retribution against Hussein.

In the undercover investigation into football corruption, Agyapong's name was also mentioned by implicated sporting officials.

Ghanaian police have not responded to repeated CNN calls about the killing.

Husein's lawyer, Kissi Agyabeng, said the member of parliament had questions to answer.

The African Investigative Publishing Collective (AIPC) has condemned the murder of Ahmed Hussein-Suale, a Ghanaian investigative reporter.

"That boy that's very unsafe, he lives here in Madina".

More news: DOJ pursuing criminal charges against Huawei for theft of tech

"It will be in the national interest to arrest the perpetrators of this crime", the commission's chairman Yaw Boadu Ayeboafo said in a statement.

"So, they should go and investigate those he has offended not me".

Award-winning journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas is best known for concealing his identity by always wearing hats and covering his face when he does interviews.

The US Embassy tweeted on Friday condemning the murder of the man who is in his early 30s, saying he was only "a young investigative journalist merely doing his job, and calls for a thorough investigation".

After being forced to resign, Nyantakyi, also under police investigations, copped a preliminary Fifa ban from football, which has now been made indefinite by the world football's governing body.

There were eight referees and assistant refs who were banned for life with 53 officials given 10-year bans.

The revelations rocked Ghana, a country where football is the national sport and which prides itself on being a stable democracy in an often turbulent region. Fourteen officials were exonerated.

Related news