Africa stands with Kenya in face of terror attack

Africa stands with Kenya in face of terror attack

Africa stands with Kenya in face of terror attack

President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday confirmed that terrorist attack at the Dusit complex in Nairobi is over and disclosed that security agencies successfully managed to kill all the al- Shabaab militants involved.Addressing the nation from state house Nairobi, Kenyatta disclosed that 14 people lost their lives during the attack that targeted the upmarket complex that houses offices and a hotel. Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack and said that it was in response to Kenya's October 2011 military intervention against Al-Shabaab in Somalia.

Somali terror group al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the attack, saying they killed 47 people inside DusitD2 Hotel, part of a Thai-owned worldwide chain that appeared to be the chief target of the attackers.

There has been a fresh twist to the motive of the Al-Shabaab attack on Nairobi's DusitD2 hotel which so far has claimed over 20 people with the US President Donald Trump being in the mix.

Explosions and gunfire at the hotel complex, Nairobi, Kenya, 15 Jan 2019.

Two suspects had also been arrested for helping the attackers, he said.

Police Inspector General Joseph Boinnet gave the nationalities of some of those killed in Tuesday's attack, including a U.S. and British citizen.

While U.S. airstrikes have constrained al-Shabab's ability to operate by keeping its fighters on the run, it is still capable of carrying out spectacular acts of violence in retaliation for Kenya sending troops to Somalia to fight it. It also said the government did a better job of managing information and that there were "fewer implausible narratives from senior security officials than happened in 2013".

The bloodshed in Kenya's capital appeared created to inflict maximum damage to the country's image of stability and its tourism industry, an important source of revenue.

More news: Pregnant Meghan Markle Wears First Maternity Dress Photos

The dead comprised 16 Kenyan nationals, one Briton, one American and three individuals of African descent who are yet to be identified.

Police warned the public there may be loud controlled explosions as they continued their sweep of the hotel.

The Red Cross said that 19 people reported missing to it, have since been traced.

It was not immediately clear how many attackers there were in total.

Special forces were sent into the hotel to flush out the gunmen believed to be holed up inside and the interior ministry said the area had been secured on Tuesday night. Spindler's father, Joseph, said his son worked with worldwide companies to form business partnerships in Kenya that would boost local economies.

Jason Spindler was the founder and CEO of the I-DEV International investment firm.

The Houston-raised Spindler had a brush with tragedy on 9/11: He was employed by a financial firm at the World Trade Centre at the time of the 2001 terrorist attack but was running late that morning and was emerging from the subway when the first tower fell, according to his father.

Related news