Israel Carried Out Attacks Against Iranian Targets in Syria, PM Netanyahu Claims

Israel Carried Out Attacks Against Iranian Targets in Syria, PM Netanyahu Claims

Israel Carried Out Attacks Against Iranian Targets in Syria, PM Netanyahu Claims

Israel is prepared to take further action against Iranian targets in Syria to prevent Iran's gaining a military stronghold in that country, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday.

"In just the last 36 hours, the air force struck Iran's warehouses, containing Iranian arms, in Damascus worldwide airport", he added, referring to a Friday night sortie that Syria said it had answered with anti-aircraft fire.

Conricus said there were no more tunnels reaching Israel from Lebanon but the army was still monitoring "facilities" being dug by Hezbollah inside Lebanese territory.

After keeping a low profile throughout most of his term, Eisenkot gave a series on interviews over the weekend focusing on his shifting the military's attention toward Iran directly, instead of just engaging its lesser proxies, Lebanon's Hezbollah and Hamas in Gaza.

The latest tunnel, found on Saturday, began in the Lebanese village of Ramyeh, some 800 metres (yards) away from Israel, the army said.

More news: Google Assistant is coming to Dish's Hopper receivers

Last month, Israel launched an operation to detect and destroy what was described as a vast network of Hezbollah tunnels, and officials say the latest discovery brings the mission to an end.

Israel has traditionally refrained from publicizing military operations against Iranian-linked targets on its northern front, but has been lifting the veil in recent days, a sign of confidence in a campaign waged amid occasional tension with Syria's big-power backer, Russia.

The tunnel will now be destroyed. Conricus said the United Nations peacekeeping mission, known as UNIFIL, was updated on the latest development.

Israel and the United Nations say the tunnels violate a ceasefire resolution made after a 2006 war between Israel and Hezbollah. He said this was part of a Hezbollah plan to send as many as 1,500 fighters to infiltrate Israeli border communities during any future war.

The announcement that the operation is ending comes as military chief of staff Gadi Eisenkot steps down at the end of his term.

Related news