Third person dies after Strasbourg Christmas market attack

Third person dies after Strasbourg Christmas market attack

Third person dies after Strasbourg Christmas market attack

Rémy Heitz, the Paris prosecutor, who handles terrorism investigations nationwide, said at a news conference in Strasbourg on Wednesday that witnesses had heard the attacker yell "Allahu akbar", or "God is great" in Arabic, and that the targets and the suspect's profile justified the opening of a terrorism investigation.

Italian daily La Repubblica reports that he travelled Strasbourg on Sunday to follow the European Parliamentary session.

The news agency ANSA said 28-year-old Antonio Megalizzi was struck by a bullet at the base of his cranium.

Soldiers patrolling the area as part of regular anti-terror operations exchanged fire with the suspect and wounded him, but could not stop him escaping, police sources said.

Three people have died following the shooting at the popular attraction and several more were seriously injured. The government raised the security level after the attack.

The suspected gunman was reportedly killed about a mile from where the murderous attack was launched on Tuesday.

"We're simply saying at this stage that, given the events that are unfolding after the terrorist attack in Strasbourg, it would be preferable if everyone could go about a Saturday before the festive holidays in a quiet way", Griveaux said.

Prime Minister Edouard Philippe announced a strengthening of security forces to secure Christmas markets with similar markets across Europe also increasing security. "It's this celebration that was hit yesterday by a terrorist act", he said.

More news: Prince William and Kate bring gifts to RAF base in Cyprus

French President Emmanuel Macron expressed "the solidarity of the whole country" towards the victims as he arrived for a European summit in Brussels.

In 2016, a militant responsible for an attack on a Christmas market in Berlin was shot and killed only three days later in Milan in northern Italy after travelling through the Netherlands and France.

While some of the movement's representatives have said they are open to halting the protests to negotiate with the government, others have said its concessions are not enough, and have vowed to protest again in Paris this weekend.

Senior Interior Ministry official Laurent Nunez said the suspect had been radicalised in prison and had been monitored by French intelligence services since his release in late 2015, because of his suspected religious extremism.

Chekatt had not been seen since getting out of a taxi in the Neudorf area of Strasbourg shortly after launching his attack.

The suspect, whose identity is yet to be confirmed, was found in the Neudorf neighborhood of the city armed with a knife and pistol, officials said.

He says the man was in his 30s and his wife appeared to be unharmed but in shock.

Immigration Bureau chief Surachate Hakparn said he will meet French diplomats in Thailand today to discuss ways of assisting the dead man's wife. "You can just tell, " one neighbor said of the man, touching the side of his head. They, too, spoke on condition of anonymity because he was still on the run.

Related news