Saudi Arabia rejects 'threats' after Trump comments on missing journalist

Saudi Arabia rejects 'threats' after Trump comments on missing journalist

Saudi Arabia rejects 'threats' after Trump comments on missing journalist

Saudi Arabia has rejected any threats against it over the disappearance of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi, once again declaring its innocence and saying it will respond to any actions with "greater actions".

The fiancée of Jamal Khashoggi has said that she will only consider accepting Donald Trump's invitation to the White House if the USA president is prepared to make a "genuine contribution" to investigating the Saudi critic's disappearance.

On Friday, a source with links to the prince's family said Prince Khaled, who is the governor of Mecca, had been sent to Turkey in his capacity as special adviser to King Salman.

Khashoggi, a Washington Post contributor, vanished after entering the consulate on October 2 to obtain official documents for his upcoming marriage.

Mr Khashoggi's disappearance sparked global comdemnation.

In a statement, Zayani described what some Arab and global media circulate as false and groundless accusations that aim to defame the kingdom. They also claim they are in possession of audio and video recordings that would show a Saudi security team detained Khashoggi before killing him and dismembering his body.

In protest of Khashoggi's disappearance, several USA businesses leaders have pulled out of next week's Future Investment Initiative in Riyadh, dubbed "Davos in the Desert", after the annual meeting of world economic interests in Switzerland.

In a statement by the Saudi Press Agency, the government denied any involvement: "The Kingdom affirms its total rejection of any threats and attempts to undermine it, whether by waving economic sanctions, using political pressure, or repeating false accusations".

Sen. Bernie Sanders joined calls for the U.S.to impose sanctions on Saudi Arabia if the country is responsible for the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi at a consulate in Turkey earlier this month.

More news: Expect heavy traffic as Maggie tours Melania around the city

"There's something, you'll be surprised to hear me say that, there's something really bad and disgusting about that if that was the case".

The kingdom has maintained the allegations against it are "baseless", though an official early on Saturday acknowledged for the first time some believe Mr Khashoggi was killed by the kingdom.

FILE - In this October 7, 2008 file photo, the shadow of a Saudi trader is seen on a stock market monitor in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

JP Morgan CEO James Dimon and Ford chairman Bill Ford said on Sunday they would also not attend.

The index recovered some ground later in the trading day to close around 3.5 percent lower.

"The country that can help us get to the bottom of this is Saudi Arabia", he said.

The newspaper's account did not elaborate on how the Apple Watch synced that information to both the phone and Mr Khashoggi's iCloud account.

The event is being hosted by the kingdom's Crown Prince Mohamed bin Salman to promote his reform agenda.

Related news