Roberto Mancini Agrees Deal to Take Italy Job

Roberto Mancini Agrees Deal to Take Italy Job

Roberto Mancini Agrees Deal to Take Italy Job

Italian news agency ANSA's website http://www.ansa.it quoted federation commissioner Roberto Fabbricini saying Mancini, now manager of Russian club Zenit Saint Petersburg, had held talks with Italian soccer officials on Monday.

The FIGC's commissioner Roberto Fabbricini confirms Roberto Mancini wants the Italy job and "we'll talk about figures and details on May 13".

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport and Corriere dello Sport, Italian football specialist Carlo Ancelotti turned down the Italy coaching job, and therefore it was made a decision to entrust this position to Mancini, 53.

Gazzetta said the federation had offered the former Manchester City manager a two-year contract until 2020 worth four million euros ($4.8million) a year.

Under-21 coach Luigi Di Biagio guided Italy on an interim basis in friendlies last month but the team has not had a full-time coach since November when Gian Piero Ventura was sacked after the Azzurri failed to qualify for the World Cup for the first time in six decades.

More news: Trump says 'at some point' he won't stay away from Justice Depar

Mancini is understood to have held a secret meeting with Italian Football Federation chief Alessandro Costacurta and thrashed out terms.

"Not watching the national team at the World Cup won't be a good thing for us", Mancini told Gr Parlamento.

Zenit are not happy that Mancini is moving on having only taken the job last June, though Zenit are only fifth in the Russian Super League standings with two matches remaining. Antonio Conte and Claudio Ranieri, Premier League winners with Chelsea FC and Leicester City FC respectively, were also said to be in the frame for the job previously.

Mancini, a former Italy player, has coached Fiorentina, Lazio, Inter Milan, Manchester City, and Galatasaray to titles.

Related news