Australian Rugby Sevens Captain In Hospital After Being Coward Punched

Australian Rugby Sevens Captain In Hospital After Being Coward Punched

Australian Rugby Sevens Captain In Hospital After Being Coward Punched

Ben Whitaker, a general manager at Australian rugby's governing body, said that Stannard was an "extremely important" member of the squad and they had been left "shocked" by the incident.

Stable condition: James Stannard was the victim of an alleged one-punch attack.

In an emotional press conference, Friend revealed the 35-year-old had been cleared by his neurosurgeon and an ear, nose and throat specialist.

While said to be in a stable condition at Sydney's St Vincent's Hospital, Stannard is no chance of competing in a third Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast from April 14.

"Every indication at this point in time, is there'll be no long-term damage to James, he will be fine".

Talking about Stannard, Mr Friend told reporters: "He's doing really well".

Stannard suffered a fractured skull after he was punched outside a kebab shop in the early hours of this morning.

Stannard was knocked to the floor in the alleged unprovoked attack at a kebab shop on Coogee Bay Road, in the eastern suburb of Coogee, at 3.10am on Friday.

More news: 3rd convoy leaves Eastern Ghouta amid evacuation deal

"As a result, he fell and struck his head on the pavement", police said in a statement.

Insp Egbers said Stannard would remain in hospital for "a little while" under observation. They said come back when you need to'.

"They're good. I think the comfort and the support that they've offered James is testament to the group", he said.

"I've been a coach for 23 years, I've been do a lot of those events where you smell something's going wrong - that was not that night".

"There was a lot of positive energy and to be honest, it was a night that I didn't want to finish and other players did not want that night to finish".

The blow brought back bad memories for Friend who was the Brumbies coach in 2009 when Shawn Mackay died from head injuries sustained in a road accident in South Africa.

"What staggers me is that we can get to a stage where we feel the need to act with such violence to an individual", he said.

According to NSW Police, the individual arrested by police is alleged to be a British national and was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Related news