Queen Assassination Attempt In New Zealand Revealed In Secret Documents

Queen Assassination Attempt In New Zealand Revealed In Secret Documents

Queen Assassination Attempt In New Zealand Revealed In Secret Documents

NEW Zealand cops will investigate a 1981 assassination attempt on the Queen amid allegations the government tried to cover it up at the time.

New Zealand's Security Intelligence Service says 17-year-old Christopher Lewis fired a shot at the Queen during her October 1981 visit to Dunedin.

"Lewis did indeed originally intend to assassinate the Queen", the documents state.

The documents - which sparked a police inquiry into how the incident in the southern city of Dunedin was handled - were declassified in response to a request by Fairfax Media. Instead, he was charged with unlawful possession and discharge of a firearm.

It took more than three decades for the information to come out, prompting questions about whether authorities at the time mishandled the case to avoid embarrassment for the country hosting the royal visit.

In a 1997 story in The Times, released as part of the documents, Mr Lewis said his then police colleagues helped rewrite the assassin's confession to say he fired at the ground out of frustration. It's been said that he plotted other attempts on the lives of the royal family, and in 1995, officials said police were still paying "close attention" to Christopher ahead of another royal visit. During the massive gathering, Lewis hid in a deserted cubicle on the fifth floor of the building overlooking the parade.

More news: Southside Christian students and teachers reflect on Billy Graham's legacy

New Zealand police say they are re-examining an apparent assassination attempt against Queen Elizabeth II.

"New Zealand police will share the outcome of this examination once it has been completed", he stated.

"Current police investigations into the shots have been conducted discreetly and most media representatives probably have the impression that the noise was caused by a firework of some description", reads a November 1981 memo released this week. Apparently anxious the incident would jeopardize future royal visits, the police only charged Lewis with unlawful possession and discharge of a firearm, which the teen had stolen.

New Zealand police have said they will investigate Lewis's case file given the interest in the "historic matter", the New Zealand Herald reported.

Lewis, who had been arrested for a series of criminal convictions, killed himself at the Mt Eden Prison in Auckland, New Zealand in 1997. The shot was sacked by Christopher Lewis, a man who was said to have a deep-seated hatred for the royal family, and was later accused of murdering a mother and abducting her child.

Related news