O'Reilly Struck $32M Settlement In January Over Harassment Allegations

O'Reilly Struck $32M Settlement In January Over Harassment Allegations

O'Reilly Struck $32M Settlement In January Over Harassment Allegations

"When the company renewed Bill O'Reilly's contract in February, it knew that a sexual harassment lawsuit had been threatened against him by Lis Wiehl, but was informed by Mr. O'Reilly that he had settled the matter personally, on financial terms that he and Ms. Wiehl had agreed were confidential and not disclosed to the company", 21 Century Fox said in a statement to CBS News on Saturday.

The Times reports O'Reilly reached a settlement worth $32 million with Lis Wiehl, a longtime Fox News legal analyst. According to the Times, O'Reilly is accused of repeated harassment, a nonconsensual sexual relationship, and the transmission of sexually explicit material, including gay porn, to Wiehl. CBS News has not confirmed the amount of the settlement.

The money involved in O'Reilly's case is also exceptional; the $32 million the network dished out eclipsed Gretchen Carlson's $20 million settlement against Roger Ailes and singlehandedly dwarfed the amount of O'Reilly's other five publicly known settlements.

O'Reilly has not admitted to any wrongdoing, claiming the allegations were "politically and financially motivated". O'Reilly was sacked in April, after the Times reported five women were paid a collective $13 million to stay silent about their harassment allegations against him. O'Reilly denied doing anything improper in an interview with the Times. "The Times ignored that evidence, sworn under oath, and chose to rely on unsubstantiated allegations, anonymous sources and incomplete leaked or stolen documents". When Wiehl first appeared on the show in 2001, O'Reilly said he had gotten her the job and that she owed him for it, to which she replied, "No, no, no".

More news: Australia final T20 abandoned

Carlson said the latest news was "horrifying and outrageous", shaming Fox News for allowing O'Reilly back on the air.

Even though Fox knew about O'Reilly's history it seems that Murdoch and his sons decided the network couldn't take losing such a strong star at a time when Megyn Kelly had just left the network.

Fox News is already under investigation by the US Department of Justice for its handling of harassment complaints, and the new reporting by the Times raises questions about the Murdochs' handling of their company.

"This is covering up, this is enablers, this is shutting up the victims", she said".

Related news