Man Shot After Attacking Soldiers in Brussels

Man Shot After Attacking Soldiers in Brussels

Man Shot After Attacking Soldiers in Brussels

A man was shot dead in the centre of Brussels on Friday evening after attacking two soldiers with a knife, officials said. "Soldiers at the scene responded".

"The soldiers neutralised an individual", Belgian emergency authorities said on Twitter.

The prosecution service's spokeswoman said, 'With the identity that we now have it is a 30-year-old man who is not known for terrorist activities'. Witnesses said the suspect shouted "Allahu Akbar" before the attack but Belgian prosecutors said he was not known to have links to terrorist groups.

"We do consider it a terror attack", Natus said.

The soldiers were lightly wounded in the attack, one in the face and the other in the hand.

More news: Two Babies Are Set To Join The Lady Antebellum Family

One soldier was "slightly injured", she added.

Federal Police spokesman Jonathan Pfunde also confirmed some details of the incident and said the attacker had been "neutralized".

Belgium's anti-terror crisis center added that the situation was "under control" in a tweet.

Associated Press television images showed that police sealed off a main street near the Grand Place, a central square that is a popular tourist site. "Our security services remain on alert".

Large numbers of police officers were deployed to the scene, which was cordoned off.

Related news