Excessive caffeine led to death of teen, coroner says

The Richland County Coroner's Office announced that Davis Allen Cripe, 16, died after drinking a large diet Mountain Dew soda, a McDonald's cafe latte and an energy drink within a two-hour period.

Davis had no pre-existing heart conditions and had taken no other drugs or alcohol, stated the coroner's report.

"We lost Davis from a totally legal substance", said Watts, adding that the boy was a model student and was not addicted to caffeine, but rather he had some kind of heart condition.

Sean Cripe said he hopes that if nothing else comes out of this, parents and kids will realize the dangers of caffeinated beverages. "Instead, it was an energy drink", Cripe said, according to NBC News.

Watts said Davis had purchased the latte at McDonald's around 12:30 p.m.

"We're not trying to speak out totally against caffeine", Watts said.

"It wasn't a vehicle crash that took his life".

More news: Halep outlasts determined Mladenovic to retain Madrid title

"Davis was a great kid, and being his parent was a great honor to Heidi and me", Cripe's father, Sean Cripe, said at Monday's press conference, his voice breaking. He followed the soft drink with an energy drink, but the coroner didn't name which one.

"Parents, please talk to your kids about these energy drinks".

According to CaffeineInformer.com, deaths caused by a person drinking too much career are rare.

'And teenagers and students, please stop buying them. But what we want to do is to make people understand that these drinks - this amount of caffeine, how it's ingested, can have dire consequences.

"A cup of coffee, a can of soda isn't going to cause this thing", said Dr. Amy Durso, deputy chief medical examiner for Richland County.

While caffeine does affect everyone differently, nutritionist Zoe Bingley-Pullin told Harper's BAZAAR Australia, "New research shows that having up to 400 mg of caffeine is safe, but I don't believe that personally". "It's the amount and also the time frame in which these caffeinated beverages are consumed that can put you at risk".

Related news